Liability cover is not arranged by the RFU for schools and colleges. Cover for these must be provided by the educational establishment to which they belong.

Personal Accident Insurance

Players in school and college teams are covered by the RFU’s Personal Accident Insurance cover in the same way as club players. The policy, arranged with RSA, provides fixed benefit payments for death and permanently disabling or catastrophic injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury or spinal injury, caused as a result of an acci­dent that occurs whilst taking part in the sport.

Cover is not included for sickness or injuries resulting from a medical condition. If the school/college or parent/guardian(s) feel that such cover is required, it is recommended that an additional policy is taken out that is appropriate to the added need.

First Aider / Healthcare Professionals Insurance

It is very unlikely that any action would be taken against a first aider who was appropriately using their first aid training. Schools/colleges should check that their insurance policy provides liability cover for individuals carrying out first aid duties on their behalf.

All schools/colleges should check that any healthcare professionals (HCPs), who provide services, have their own indemnity insurance in place. Schools/colleges who engage such personnel, or deploy volunteers in this capacity, may have a vicarious liability for their actions.

HCPs should have their own insurance arrangements as a requirement of their regulating body. Below the elite level of sport, such insurance will usually be provided at no additional cost to them, as long as they have the appropriate training and experience. HCPs should be able to provide evidence of registration or membership of their relevant regulatory body or society.

Coaching in Schools and Colleges

The liability insurance provider for teachers/coaches delivering rugby union at a school or college may be different depending upon the circumstance:

  • If the teacher/coach is directly employed by the school or college the public liability protection should be arranged by the employer
  • If the coach is from a local club and attends the school or college on behalf of the club, the coach will be covered under the club’s public liability insurance. It doesn’t matter if it is on a voluntarily or paid basis
  • If the coach is directly employed by the RFU and providing the coaching as part of an RFU programme the coach will be covered by the RFU’s corporate insurance
  • Finally, if the coach is self-employed and providing coaching to the school or college as a contracted coach, the coach must arrange their own public liability insurance. Schools/colleges should ask the coach to provide evidence of this.

Visit the England Rugby Insurance website for more information.


Ensure you are delivering a safe and enjoyable rugby programme and can demonstrate how it is RugbySafe.