Intra Mural Sport (IMS)
Inter Mural Sport (IMS) Rugby promotes the playing of rugby at university or college for those who might not want to play at the highest level. It’s a great opportunity for male and female uni students to get involved in the game as a Young Match Official.
Earlier this year the KYBO! team followed an IMS tournament at Loughborough University and spoke to some of the organisers, YMOs and players.
Student (Young) Match Officials Programme Overview University
The target age range for those forming a Young Match Official (YMO) programme is 14-24 and since its inception 2016 the interest in becoming a referee has grown in all areas and particularly within the University sector.
From speaking with those who have become Student MO’s and the universities that they are/have attended the benefits for both the individual and the university are:
- Make Friends – Whether in your first or third year becoming a YMO is a great way to make new friends and also enjoy sport alongside current friends and having a great time, keep fit and socialising.
- Leadership and Management – The opportunity to provide practical demonstrations of their leadership and management skills within in a game, which helps to enhance their CV is very apparent.
- Communication – With a game of rugby being ever-changing the communication skills and interpersonal skills are enhanced and developed again in practical situations.
- Confidence/Self-Confidence – Being confident with an environment that is ever-changing and having the self-confidence to know that you have the skill set to deal with any given situation is a key area.
- Volunteerism – whether you are completing a formal qualification such as the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme or developing your volunteer hours, being a YMO provides an ideal vehicle to support the development of these hours, and supporting the Universities Intra Mural/Social sports programmes.
- Free Shirt – on successful completion of the England Rugby Referee Award and agreeing to be a YMO, you will receive your first referee shirt courtesy of England Rugby.
- World Experience – being a YMO is the first rung on the ladder for those who may have ambitions to become a professional referee. It can often be a great opportunity for travelling making new friends, and also offer other opportunities.
The links below are shared experiences from those who became YMO’s and also a map and guidance document that explains more, but also demonstrates how easy it is to “Give it a Go!”
VIEW GUIDANCE DOCUMENT