They have created a student package which includes:
- Membership of recognised England Rugby match official programme.
- Subsidised England Rugby Refereeing Award
- Automatic sign-up to the England Rugby Referees Association and a YMO jersey on completion of the Award.
- Recognition as a Young Rugby Ambassador.
- vInspire membership – with rewards for volunteering within sport as a match official.
- Support from local England Rugby Match Official Development Officers and Local Delivery Teams.
- Access to dedicated communication network.
The first course run at Yeovil College saw nine new officials become qualified Level 2 and they went on to officiate at the Yeovil Schools Sevens Competition and other local events. In around two months they amassed over 300 volunteering hours between them.
Said Warren Applin, Sports Development Manager, Yeovil College: “It has been an excellent learning experience for the players to see the game from a different perspective and ECRFU have played a key role in the development of the students by providing thisopportunity. We hope this will help kick start
their career in sport.”
Ben Watts, one of the Yeovil College students added: “The course was really enjoyable and gave me a different view of the game. I now understand what referees are looking for and I am really enjoying refereeing.”
Said the ECRFU’s John Hole: “One of our strategic aims is support of the whole game and this course enables us to help develop individuals and support rugby in schools and clubs. Who knows, we may eventually see one of our students refereeing at a World Cup!” If your college is interested in helping to growand develop young referees contact